The Pic Saint-Michel offers magnificent views of the Vercors Massif and much of the Alps. This beautiful mountain hike will take you through stunning landscapes of woodland, alpine pastures and lapies.
From Les Barnets car park, head towards the Pic Saint-Michel by following the 'GR® de Pays', 'Tour des Quatre-Montagnes' (yellow and red markers). At the Collet du Furon, take the path up to Combe Oursière, and follow the yellow-and-green markers from then onwards. The path continues, winding between the boulders to end up at the Pic Saint-Michel, which offers views over the Grenoble valley and the Alpine mountains.
The hike continues just below the ridge, descending steadily to eventually join the Col de l'Arc. Keep descending until you reach Font Froide, then take the 'GR® 9' path (white-and-red markers), to end up at Salière and the Collet du Furon. From there, head back to Les Barnets car park via the path you took at the beginning of the hike.
- Pedestrian sports, Itinéraire de randonnée pédestre
- 8.8 km
- Trail type:
- Elevation gain:
- 656 m
- Daily duration:
- 4h 30m
- Map references:
- Carte IGN 3235 OT Autrans
- Topographical references:
- cartoguide Vercors Quatre Montagnes
- Difficult sections:
- Depending on the time of year, on the mountain pastures you may come across a Patou (Pyrenean mountain dog) or other livestock guardian dog. If you do, just walk around the flock or herd, and stay calm while the dog assesses you. Do not threaten or stroke these dogs. If you have a dog, you must keep it on a leash. Warning: when it rains, some of the more technical sections can become slippery and tricky to negotiate! Use the structures provided to cross fences, and make sure to close any gates behind you.
- Type of waymarkers:
- Yellow and green markers ('PR', day hike route) Yellow and red markers ( 'GRP®', local hiking circuit) White and red markers ( 'GR® 9', long-distance hiking route)
Bring clothing and equipment appropriate for your ability level and the weather conditions. Do not leave the marked paths.
Contact details & information
Parc Naturel régional du Vercors
- Parking des Barnets
From Lans-en-Vercors, take the D1061 towards La Sierre (ski area in the Lans Mountains), and park at 'Les Barnets' car park (1226m).
From 01/05 to 31/10.
Subject to favorable weather.